I use my generator for home standby and "exercise it" monthly. Recently went to start it, found that the battery was dead, replaced the battery and turned the key....resulting in a smoking burnt plastic, "electrical" smelll...quickly disconnected the battery....The battery was correctly connected. In trying to diagnose the problem, I have checked the ignition switch, but found the resistences on the electronic control unit to be bad.....ergo probably need a new unit...Any suggestions regarding this diagnosis ? The starter motor is fine, but I get NOTHING WHEN I TURN THE KEY. No lights, electric starter does not operate. I have checked continuity between the ignition switch and the starter...no issue. Soo... am I correct in my diagnosis ?