elctronic control unit on EF 12000de

donmd
I use my generator  for home standby and "exercise it" monthly. Recently went to  start it, found that the battery was dead, replaced the battery and turned the key....resulting in a smoking burnt plastic, "electrical" smelll...quickly disconnected the  battery....The battery was correctly connected. In trying to diagnose the problem, I have checked the ignition switch, but  found the resistences on the electronic  control unit to be bad.....ergo probably need a  new unit...Any suggestions regarding this diagnosis ?  The starter motor is  fine, but  I get  NOTHING WHEN I TURN THE KEY. No lights, electric starter does not  operate. I have checked continuity between  the ignition switch and the starter...no issue. Soo... am I correct in my diagnosis ?