ef1000is No spark

gstraty
After having some carburetor, problems I have since found that now I have no SPARK. Trouble shooting per service manual says the engine  run/stop switch is ON (continuity) in run position and OFF (open) for stop. In checking the switch however,  I find that the switch is Off in Run position and ON (continuity) for stop which I believe to be correct. Am I wrong or is the service manual in error? I have the machine completely dis-assembled  now  having installed a new ignition coil. To check for spark, it seems to me that one could simply rotate the flywheel manually and check the high tension lead with spark plug attached and grounded for spark. All other wires disconnected. Doesn't work. Where am I going wrong? In any event, I have no spark. Go figure!

Re: ef1000is No spark

CycleRob
Yes, an open shutoff switch circuit is needed for sparks.
Turning the engine manually may not be fast enough with electronic ignition systems, like was true of breaker point systems. You'll need to use the recoil starter.