Yamaha YG6600DE charging system problem

kc2jlb
This post was updated on .
My YG6600DE starts fine with a fully charged battery, but only puts back 5.5volts to the battery when running and "chargin" the battery.   I think that while running the charging system should be sending 13 or 14 volts to the battery.  Am I correct on this, and if so, how do I trouble shoot the problem to figure out what the problem is to repair it?
From reading online, I am suspecting a charging coil or rectifier/regulator problem.

Thanks,
Tim

Re: Yamaha YG6600DE charging system problem

kc2jlb
Can anyone suggest what to check to determine why when my YG6600DE is running, it does not send 14volts back to the battery?   Thanks, Tim

Re: Yamaha YG6600DE charging system problem

Grumps
You are correct that you should see around 14 volts at the battery with the unit running. From the manual never run the unit with the battery disconnected. There is a 10 amp fuse behind the control panel, check the fuse.

Re: Yamaha YG6600DE charging system problem

kc2jlb
Thanks Grumps.  I did get a hold of a repair manual and was able to measure the ohms across the charging coil and it looks like it needs replacement.  Will order the part and install it and hope that solves the problem.

Tim