Yamaha YG6600DE Generator Cranks and Runs About 30 Sec Then Quits??

Yamaha YG6600DE Generator Cranks and Runs About 30 Sec Then Quits??

davexx1
My Yamaha YG6600DE generator will crank and run for about 30 seconds or so then sputters and quits.  If I wait a several minutes and start it again, it will do the same thing.  Any ideas?  Is this something I can fix myself or have to take it to a shop for repair?

This generator has always had ethanol free gas in it and has been started and run every few months. With a hurricane headed our way in Florida I cranked the generator this morning just to be sure it was ready for service.  When it wouldn't run, I pulled the air filter cover and the foam air filter element fell out in pieces completely deteriorated.  Some of the crumbling filter element could have been sucked into/thru the carb.  I pulled the fuel bowl off the carb and checked for gas flow, cleaned off the needle valve, etc. and still same problem.  Hurricane is about a day away from my home in Central Florida.  Hopefully I can get this fixed in time.

Thanks, Dave

Re: Yamaha YG6600DE Generator Cranks and Runs About 30 Sec Then Quits??

davexx1
I cleaned all of the nozzle, jets, float, needle, etc. that I could find, cleaned them and passageways with carb cleaner and blew them out well, and it made no difference.  It would still crank, run, and quit.  I could find no obvious obstructions or problems so I took it to the local Yamaha shop this morning.  They had it fixed in about an hour for $146.  Only thing they told me was a carb obstruction and new spark plug.

Dave