Yamaha EF3000iSEB - Oil Drain Hole Problem - Help Pls

Yamaha EF3000iSEB - Oil Drain Hole Problem - Help Pls

intz2nu
Hello folks new here and recently just did my first oil change on my Yamaha EF3000iSEB which went wrong. I turned the oil bolt plug in the wrong direction over tightening it and cause it to strip the hole so now the bolt cannot be fully tightened. My question is if anyone thinks me using a Tap one size larger than the existing hole size and a larger oil bolt plug will work or not. Really would appreciate any and all help with this as this generator is pretty much brand new. Also if someone could link me to a website of which tap I should use and also a proper bolt and any kind of ring or rubber that will work would be very very greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah and also if / when enlarging the hole should I be extra careful that no metal shavings go inside the drain hole?

Re: Yamaha EF3000iSEB - Oil Drain Hole Problem - Help Pls

CycleRob
I'm going to give you the absolute best possible advice that will functionally make your damaged genny as good as new at the best possible price. Since you not only lacked the skill to correctly loosen an oil drain bolt -and- applied enough deadly force to strip the crankcase threads, you MUST select someone else to make the professional repair that is needed.

What you need is a premium, solid steel thread insert made by Time-Sert. The steel Time-Sert insert is actually much stronger and wear resistant than the factory cut Aluminum threads. Since the repair would be too expensive for you to do by purchasing a kit, it's best that you call the local Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealers and ask them if they have a Time-Sert kit to repair stripped oil drain plug threads in a generator engine's Aluminum crankcase. Since many small motorcycle engines have the exact same setup, they very likely will have the kit and the expertise to do it right at a fair price. The chips can be gently blown out with a rubber tipped blow gun inserted into the oil fill hole as the threading tap is doing its job. It's a better solution than using grease on the tap to "capture" the thread cutting chips, as too much grit is left behind.

Another warning; do NOT use a Heli-Coil to make this repair !!! They are not as durable or permanent and all too often will back out with the drain plug . . . and that's not cool.

Re: Yamaha EF3000iSEB - Oil Drain Hole Problem - Help Pls

intz2nu
Thanks a ton for the great advice but I must say I can surely do this myself as when I originally did it I had completely spaced out on which was my left from my right given the generator was positioned in an angle on a utility push cart and surprisingly enough it wasn't much force when it stripped from me turning it in the other direction maybe it could have also been due to me using a large wrench to unscrew it. Either way this looks much like a tap which I can surely do myself. The only thing I am concerned with with what you said is the price of a kit. Would you happen to know which kit and or part number, and also size I would need to order?

Oh yeah it would also be a bit of a hassle for me to get someone to haul it to a shop who "might" have such a kit at hand given our limitations here on the island I'm on "Hawaii the Big Island" plus I also would need to get someone with a truck because of my car being really small and also have the person help me lift it so personally my best bet would be to fix it myself I just need to know which kit and or size of what and what I would need from Time-Sert this would make things a lot more easier on my part.

Re: Yamaha EF3000iSEB - Oil Drain Hole Problem - Help Pls

CycleRob
This post was updated on .
The kit you need is determined by the thread size of the drain bolt. I'm guessing the drain bolt threads, being steel, were not damaged, but if they are, get a new drain bolt. I checked the on-line Yamaha parts fiche and it does not list the thread size of the drain bolt, only their proprietary part number. Take the drain bolt to any Japanese new car dealer's service department, explain the whole story and either the parts guy or a service technician should tell you what it is with an actual correct thread measurement. Wear nice clothes, be patient, polite and it should go well. They also most likely will have the Time-Sert kit in their service dept and could easily do the repair for a fair price. Getting the 3000 Watt genny there can't be THAT difficult with assistance from a friend or 2 to help put it in the trunk or on the front/back seat.

Re: Yamaha EF3000iSEB - Oil Drain Hole Problem - Help Pls

Tori
Some additional advise,  after you have the threads repaired and the plug sealed up,  never remove it again for the chance it may leak, or otherwise.

Consider buying a tool to vacuum out the oil from the fill hole.   The tool costs about $140 and makes quick work of changing the oil in a generator.  And mess free to boot!    I know you don't want to spend money on a tool,  but think of it as cheap insurance that you won't have to replace the engine case on your generator if the worst were to happen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MityVac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus-Pressure-Vacuum-Tool-/131112246464?hash=item1e86e61cc0&item=131112246464&vxp=mtr

Re: Yamaha EF3000iSEB - Oil Drain Hole Problem - Help Pls

beachbum
I know this is an old post, but just in case you haven't found a good solution for a mess free oil change, here's what I did.  It applies to most models.  Just need to check your drain plug size and thread pitch.

This will also avoid any cross thread problems in the future with having to remove and replace a drain plug.  Just install this valve and open and close as needed!  Tool free job.

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/Easier-oil-changes-on-an-EF6300iSDE-Install-Drain-Valve-tp1689.html