Yamaha 2800

sigi
Dear Forum

On the 12/08/2011, I purchased a Yamaha EF28001 2.8 KVA S/N 1423089 Inverter generator at Whitsunday Movers in Proserpine. It has only been used in case of black outs to run refrigerator, TV, power tools etc. It has never been overloaded and I have been very happy with its performance.
However when I started the generator the last time with the economy mode switched to OFF, let it warm up for a few minutes and then plugged in a 600-watt angle grinder, the angle grinder was working ok with the eco switched off, but when I switched the economy to ON, the generator nearly stopped and the angle grinder ran at a much-reduced speed. I then plugged in an 1500-watt electric water jug with the economy switched to OFF. As soon as I switched on the jug, the generator nearly stopped. The overload light never lit up. My Proserpine dealer had a look at it, did a few tests, but he can only repair mechanical problems, not electronic ones.
I have not found a competent authorized repairer in the Whitsunday area to repair the machine. I have taken it to 2 Yamaha authorized repairers here in the Whitsundays , but they can only repair the mechanical side and not the electronic part. Then I took it to Mackay, 130 km from here to another authorized Yamaha repairer. He had no repair manual and not even a circuit diagram of the generator and wanted $1788 to fix it.
The generator runs and starts ok, but when I connect a load bigger then 600 watt (small angle grinder or power drill) it surges up to full speed and then goes back to idle, then surges and goes back to idle again and again.
For over 4 years the generator has been sitting there now. Since no one here can fix it, I was forced to buy a cheap 2.4 kw Chinese inverter generator that uses a lot more fuel than the Yamaha.
I am 74 years old, live in the bush and need the generator for power blackouts.
Does anyone know what the problem could be or send me the address of a competent Repairer?

I'm looking forward to hear from you.
Best regards Sig