YG6600DE Won't stay running...

rays
Yamaha YG6600DE runs fine for about two minutes, then dies, as if switched off.  Will restart after a few seconds, but runs for about a minute, then dies again.  I know it's not a fuel/carb issue because about 8 years ago, I converted the unit to dual fuel propane/gasoline setup.  When connected to propane source, it acts the same way.  Oil is full, and this happens with no load on the generator.  Ideas?

Re: YG6600DE Won't stay running...

Lanexa45
Hello just ran across your post and I was having the same problem with my YG6600DE. Did you ever get it resolved I would love to hear from you thanks in advance.

RE: YG6600DE Won't stay running...

rays

Nope.  Never did.  I still have it, and intend to work on it, but bought a new Generac to replace it.

RE: YG6600DE Won't stay running...

Lanexa45
Thank you for your quick reply. I was just curious if you noticed your low oil light coming on as it stumbles. My gen set will start fine, run for two minutes then light comes on as it’s stumbling. It regains for a period and then again with light and stumble. After that it seems to run fine. My thoughts are that maybe it is an oil pressure switch. If anyone has thoughts about this I am all ears.

RE: YG6600DE Won't stay running...

Lanexa45
Ok update on my trouble shooting. Cold gen set pulled oil pressure switch wire located to the right of starter motor and above oil fill on control panel side of e/g. Cold start ran for 10 minutes no stumbling. Ok tomorrow I will plug oil sending unit back in and test again with cold e/g.

RE: YG6600DE Won't stay running...

Lanexa45
New update plugged oil sending unit back in started gen set cold little more than two minutes e/g stumbled as this happens the low oil light come on. I have to believe that the sending unit is failing. I have correct amount of oil so I think that I will just leave it unplugged for now replacing sender looks like you have to split engine from the generator? Anyway that’s where I am at for what it’s worth.

RE: YG6600DE Won't stay running...

rays
Did the same procedure with oil sending unit...no luck.  Going to dig deeper.

Re: YG6600DE Won't stay running...

Lanexa45
Just curious are you noticing your oil light coming on when it shut down? The only reason I went there is when I turn my propane off to shut down I do not see oil light coming on as it shut off.

Sent from my iPhone

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/YG6600DE-Won-t-stay-running-tp1890p2017.html
To unsubscribe from YG6600DE Won't stay running..., click here.
NAML

Re: YG6600DE Won't stay running...

Lanexa45
Update to YG-6600 issue. Since my last post I have acquired another YG-6600 from my uncle who has moved on to a whole house generator. With my new gen-set, I decided to service it with an oil change.  My problem with the first gen-set  followed me to the newly acquired one. Since the problem happened in both gen-sets, I concluded it must be operator error. I realized that I was putting two much oil in and reduced the amount by roughly two ounces.  My problem has gone away in both gen-sets. Live and learn hope this help you or others.