WHATS WRONG WITH MY EF2800I ...... Anyone Please

WHATS WRONG WITH MY EF2800I ...... Anyone Please

tabbott54
Purchased this unit new in 2007, and up until this summer it has worked great . Here,s the problem. Intermittently it will spike to wide open throttle and trip out for a couple of seconds . It  will reset on its own , no need to restart the engine . This will occur several times in an evening and some nights not at all  . This past couple of weekends when i start the unit for the first time it will go to WOT for a couple of seconds and the overload light comes on immediately . When this happens if i leave it for an hour or so it may run OK but some nights it will not work at all . I have taken it to the local dealer twice with no positive results as each time it would run OK . I have replaced the Throttle control  motor but no change .

Re: WHATS WRONG WITH MY EF2800I ...... Anyone Please

tabbott54
Does anyone think it may be the E C U ?? When checking the carb for this problem I did find a little dirt . Is it possible the carb may need a good cleaning ?I didnt think so because its so intermittent .

Re: WHATS WRONG WITH MY EF2800I ...... Anyone Please

CycleRob
tabbott54,
 Is the EF2800i connected to the electrical load when you start the engine? What you describe fits perfectly with the Genny trying to start 2 or more Refrigerators/Freezers/WaterPumps/AirConditioners at the same time. It can also create those max-rev conditions if the total load is about 2,000 Watts when just ONE of those appliances tries to start up. The fact the overload light comes on when it over-revs and it does NOT need to be reset indicates an overload, and no malfunction of the Genny. It also explains why the dealer cannot replicate your symptoms, as they would not apply in excess of 2800W.

My advice is to search for and tabulate ALL the things that are drawing power from your Genny when you use it.

Re: WHATS WRONG WITH MY EF2800I ...... Anyone Please

Ashley
Question to Tabbot54, when it is WOT does it seem to be under heavy load or just bouncing off the limiter?.

Re: WHATS WRONG WITH MY EF2800I ...... Anyone Please

tabbott54
It will go to WOT intermittently when first started and absolutely no load . Unplugged and switch in the off position . Thanks for your input  .