Throttle Motor Control - EF1000is

SC_LSV
I am having some trouble with my generator.  The throttle control module seems to be bouncing around alot, especially at low loads(econ mode).   You can take the back cover off and watch the throttle bouncing back and forth, never seems to level out.  Took the carb and jets apart and cleaned them last night, everything is good with them.

Has anyone had this problem or got any suggestions?   Or should I just order a new throttle control and try it?

Engine will run at full load, still hunts for throttle setting, but not like it does in econ mode.  Econ mode it bounces so much that i will actually loose power or dim lights.  Turing off satellite & tv.  Please help.

SC_LSV

Re: Throttle Motor Control - EF1000is

robertbruceshaw
pull the fuel line off at the tank and loosen the carby-bowl drain screw....

manually blow air don the fuel line - does air pass easily through without having the strain your cheeks??

my throttle controll used to go crazy when there is a partial block in the float jet.....

Re: Throttle Motor Control - EF1000is

CycleRob
This post was updated on .
Cycling and hunting that is worse at lighter throttle openings on inverter generators is 1 or 2 of these things:
1--Excess play, wear or mis-adjustment in the throttle control mechanism.
2--Poor connection at each end of the idle control motor's power wire.
3--Too lean (clogged?) pilot jet or too lean a pilot screw setting.
4--Old, dead fuel, characterized by hard starting and inferior cold engine throttle response.
5--Intake manifold gasket leaking/ripped (sucking in air).
6--Air filter eaten away by 4 legged furry critters (mice). Holes in air filter leans the mixture.
7--The throttle position is not properly set after being taken apart. It needs to be manually turned to the full throttle stop before the engine is started. An excellent explanation is HERE, and it covers all possible cures to your light load cycling problem.

Most likely it is #3 or #5 or #7.

Make the easy shots first:
--Drain-n-replace gasoline with fresh fuel. That includes the carb floatbowl and fuel lines. Use a blow dryer on Low or Med to electrically load the engine to a heavy throttle setting and push any remaining residual old fuel thru the running motor.

--Adjust pilot screw richer (turn it CCW - - loosen it).

Those should cure it, but if they do not:
--Remove and soak/spray/clean/blowoff the pilotjet. It can have a hidden scummy film that will cause mixture lean cycling.

.

Re: Throttle Motor Control - EF1000is

Leeman
Question - the Pilot Screw. I need to richen up the mixture a little, and the Pilot screw has a plastic cap with tabs that prevent it from going past 1 turn. I need to cut the tabs to adjust it further ?

How did they get that cap on and adjust it in the first place ?

How much would you expect the short range it can move now to adjust the mixture ?
If I pull the choke a little, the unit stops cycling - which seems to indicate a lean mixture.
I do not notice any difference in idle quality with the limited adjustment available with the cap on.

This unit has been a bear. I've had it for a year and it has never run right. Its been in the shop more than its been used. I run stabilizer in the the fuel and its always been new fuel. I've also pulled and cleaned the pilot jet (looked fine).

Thanks !
Lee

Re: Throttle Motor Control - EF1000is

Sven A Talo
Hi,

We bought a New unit for our fly in only camp in Northern Manitoba Canada, This generator have never run right, at economy setting she barely run at all, surging so much that she quits.
Every time we have problem the unit have to be flown out $$$$$$. Last time it went for repair we had to wait 30 days to get a back ordered throttle control motor.
Over the years we have mostly used the Honda's and a few Chinese generators without any problem!

We will never again buy a Yamaha anything!!!!!!

Re: Throttle Motor Control - EF1000is

Leeman
I gave up on mine. Nobody could every get it to run right.

I went out and bought a Honda and its been fantastic.

  -- Lee

Re: Throttle Motor Control - EF1000is

CycleRob
This post was updated on .
The problem with the EF1000iS is mainly because of the US EPA that mandates too lean, non adjustable pilot jets and limiter caps on the pilot screw. That is literally insane for this tiny 50cc engine that will most definitely operate at different altitudes and temperatures while using various grades of gasoline poisoned with EPA mandated Ethanol, that effectively further leans out the fuel mixture. That designed-in UNadjustability guarantees it will run terribly much of the time while actually passing MORE pollution over time. The proof is that a BRAND NEW Ef1000iS can run erratically (cycling) while it should be turbine smooth and steady. Mine would falter badly in the transition from Eco idle to full RPMs, a NOISY revving disaster when trying to start a small chest freezer while we were sleeping.

 The very minute fixes are well known to patient mechanics married to cautious precision and they make this genny run perfect without changing the former hydrocarbon free scent of the exhaust or any increase in fuel consumption.

 It is also possible that Honda is less over cautious in tuning their gennys to "way inside" EPA standards.

 Finally, about replacing the throttle control motor as a solution to RPM cycling, the fact that it IS cycling is NOT a symptom of its failure, because it is actively working the throttle for the RPM the ICU wants to control the electrical output. RPM cycling IS a symptom of an incorrect fuel mixture, of which the majority of the time it will be too lean. Even a new Genny can have a partially clogged pilot jet from its unspecified storage time after it has been run tested -or- in some rare cases if it was returned for a refund, prepared for resale and resold (as new?).

Re: Throttle Motor Control - EF1000is

CycleRob
This post was updated on .
Cycling for 90+ percent of the time is the pilot jet circuit flowing less fuel when needed. The fact most Gennys are used infrequently increases the likelihood, even with Stabil in the fuel, that the pilot jet will get "hardening of the arteries" from a dried residual fuel film after engine shut-down.

The problem with the pilot jet is that the metering hole is so small it is almost invisible, located dead center on the end face of the jet. So . . . even when you think you cleaned the metering hole out by spraying it, you likely did not. Cleaning a clogged one with a steel wire is risky because the wire has to be such a small diameter to fit in the hole that it will be weak enough to shear off flush with the exposed end of the jet, if you manage to get it jammed in the hole.