Oil Drip from Air Intake - Coming from Crankcase Breather Hose?

Oil Drip from Air Intake - Coming from Crankcase Breather Hose?

Meanderthal
Hello
I run my EF2600 (2002) for about an hour every second day and it's running fine. However after today's run, I found a small amount of oil on the floor beneath the air intake housing, with a drip hanging from the base of the plastic air intake housing itself. The oil on the floor had a slight petrol smell. I removed the housing cover and foam, and it appears the oil came from the breather hose connected to the crankcase cover. I checked the genny's oil level - it is brim full as per usual. I haven't removed the crankcase cover as I suppose that will result in having to replace a gasket or two, which I want to avoid if at all possible.

I haven't re-oiled the foam recently so it's not a case of me having left too much oil in the foam.
Nor has the genny been tilted or moved recently.

Has my genny developed a problem?

Re: Oil Drip from Air Intake - Coming from Crankcase Breather Hose?

Grumps
There is a one way valve in the crankcase breather that allows crankcase pressure to escape on the down stroke of the piston and closes to create a slight crankcase vacuum on the upstroke of the piston. You may need to clean or replace the breather valve and the gaskets.

Re: Oil Drip from Air Intake - Coming from Crankcase Breather Hose?

Meanderthal, Member Grumps is correct. I see in the parts blow-up that the engine has a flat head type cylinder head. Those engines run much hotter than OverHeadValve (OHV) types. A 2002 model run as often as you have recently may have a worn/cracked/broken or out-of-position plastic/Aluminum check valve disc embedded in the breather cover, screwed onto the engine crankcase where the breather hose attaches to. Oil dripping from the carb can also be because the genny was run for an extended period under a heavy electrical load, especially if the oil level is very high and/or in hot weather.

 Immediately check the engine oil fill hole for any gasoline odor! There should be NONE, or you have a carb float valve contamination/wear problem. We hope you ALWAYS remove the electrical load and turn the fuel valve off a minute or 3 prior to turning off the ignition switch. That cools off the engine slightly and lowers the carb floatbowl fuel level making the stopped engine stored engine heat less troubling when that heat is transferred into the carb, expanding/raising the float bowl fuel volume.

Re: Oil Drip from Air Intake - Coming from Crankcase Breather Hose?

Meanderthal
Thanks Grumps & CycleRob.

The Specs in my Owners Manual describe the engine type as "Air cooled 4-stroke gasoline OHV".
CycleRob, your comments were based on my motor not being OHV. How does this change your view of things?