HELP Yamaha EF2000iS carb cleaning - pilot jet

HELP Yamaha EF2000iS carb cleaning - pilot jet

Mjwyoming
we own a EF2000iS purchased in 2011.  We have only used it a few times and it has sat with gas in it for a long time.  (I know thats bad!) I've started it a few times over the past couple years and it surges.  Today was the day I tried to fix it. I watched a few youtube videos that told me the pilot tube is gummed up. The videos showed me how to clean the carb.  Everything went great with disassembly and removing the carb.  Then, I had a problem.  The pilot jet doesn't look like the ones in the videos.  Here's the deal. The pilot jet on mine was held in place by a screw and bridge connection that held the jet in place by a piece that clamped down in the slot of the jet.  I took the screw and bracket off and thought the jet would just unscrew from the carb body.  It doesn't!  it merely spins in place and I can't find any way to get it out to clean it.  It doesn't appear to be threaded into the body and its not loose.  Can someone tell me how it comes out... if it does.
The carb has the following identification stamps on it

Mikuni 7DX10  Z1Y1

I sprayed everthing in the carb with carb cleaner and compressed air and re-assembled.  The surging is still a problem.  I really want to get this fixed so we can use it with a new camper.

Re: HELP Yamaha EF2000iS carb cleaning - pilot jet

stankbait
On mine it was the small holes in the tube area, main jet area clogged. Takes a very small drill a little thicker that an hair. #80 drill

Re: HELP Yamaha EF2000iS carb cleaning - pilot jet

Pontchar
I disassembled my carburetor last week to clean it because it had plugged with old gas, I hadn’t drained the float. The main jet wouldn’t clean with carburetor cleaner nor by poking with welding tip cleaners. I replaced it with a new jet, cheap. The pilot jet was clamped as you say and would spin but wasn’t screwing out. Turned out it wasn’t threaded and just slid out. It wasn’t very dirty and cleaned easily. I put everything back together and the generator started on the first pull. Yea! But now it surges, which I don’t remember it doing before. So that’s some progress but I have a lot more to learn. Hopefully this group will help me learn faster.
BTW the number on my carburetor is
Mikuni 7DX10
Z268
My generator is EF2000iS, purchased June 2013

Re: HELP Yamaha EF2000iS carb cleaning - pilot jet

stankbait
It was part #8 on the carb that was cleaned with the #80 drill that stopped mine from surging

Re: HELP Yamaha EF2000iS carb cleaning - pilot jet

Mjwyoming
Success!
First problem - getting the pilot jet out of the carb. the jet is not threaded. you have to grab the top of the jet with a pair of needle nosed pliers.  Its not easy. The top of the jet is recessed into a hole.  It doesn't just fall out because of a rubber o-ring.  get a good grip in the slot on top of the jet and pull.  It will come out.
Second problem - I soaked the jet in carb cleaner and tried to insert tiny wires into the hole to clean it out.  They wouldn't go in. the solution was to buy a new jet.  Not cheap.  The jet is over $20 and the tiny  o-ring was $5!.
I installed the new parts and now the generator purrs like a kitten.
this was an exercise in perseverance.  I've had that carb off and apart about 6 times.  I can now do it blindfolded :-)

Re: HELP Yamaha EF2000iS carb cleaning - pilot jet

Mjwyoming
See my post about fixing mine.
If you replaced the main jet you will now likely have to replace the pilot jet and o-ring.  not cheap. don't order a new one until you get the old one out.  There are variations on the carbs on these generators.  The old pilot jet should have the size engraved on it. Mine was a 37.5.  I got it on Partszilla.