Ef1000is help needed

R-struc3
Hello,
I just got a ef1000is for almost nothing! The problem I have is it doesn't produce power. I was told by the last owner he had it hooked to his fish house and it was shut off at night and got damp. Once he restarted it it wouldn't generate power anymore. Where should I start? What should I test?

Thank you for your help
Bob

Re: Ef1000is help needed

R-struc3
Can anyone tell me how to test the stator and rectifier? Also what should I expect to see for voltage and resistance? Is there a good place to get a wiring diagram from? I think I may have a bad stator due to what I seen for resistance values and the voltages with it running. Just not entirely sure if I tested it the correct way

Re: Ef1000is help needed

Grumps
Check out The post by CycleRob on Jan 4 2011 this may help you.

Re: Ef1000is help needed

R-struc3
Thanks for the info.

I have power up to the control unit but I don't seem to be getting any. Power out of the control unit. With this being said I'm assuming that I have a bad control unit. Is that safe to assume?

If so I have a couple options to cut my losses and part it out if someone needs engine parts or anything else other than the control unit.

Or does anyone know where I could find a used control unit or a repair place to fix this one? A new one cost more the the generator is worth

Thanks for the help

Re: Ef1000is help needed

Grumps
I have done some reading about the ef1000is and it seems that the engine is very good but the electronics are prone to failure. The control box has a new part number ( improved version ? )  7CG-8A210-11-00.  The best price I found was $482. From Yamahapartshouse.com.  That's all I can offer, good luck.

Re: Ef1000is help needed

R-struc3
Yeah I found the part number also and have been looking around.  I'm leaning to other just holding onto the generator and hoping to find one that has engine problems I can get the part from or just parting it out if anyone needs an engine or whatever I'd be willing to sell it for a good price

Re: Ef1000is help needed

CycleRob
 I most often use my EF1000iS to power an old shop vacuum to remove bottom leaf sludge from 5 emptied 55 Gallon rain barrels. Fearing voltage spike inverter damage when the vacuum is turned On or Off, I always use a surge protector between the genny and any load applied.

It is a shame that such an expensive generator is not properly protected from voltage spikes, sputtering/weak  outlet/line connections or short circuits that seem to be responsible for too many inverter box failures. In light of that, BE SURE that your extension cords are 14 gauge wire or thicker and ALL the connections to the genny outlet attached surge protector and cord attachments are solid feeling as they plug in.

Re: Ef1000is help needed

bezdelnik12
This post was updated on .
good afternoon ! Who can sell the defective control unit for Yamaha Generator EF1000IS?

Re: Ef1000is help needed

bezdelnik12