EF6600DEX Starts good, runs smooth but shuts off after 15 seconds.

EF6600DEX Starts good, runs smooth but shuts off after 15 seconds.

pineridge
I have performed the routine maintenance, and regular trouble shooting. The gas is fresh, carb jets clean, spark good, motor oil level ok, generator out put voltage a little high (no load).
After the generator shuts down I will have to wait 10-15 minutes before it will start again.
The oil level switch is designed to shut down the motor but the oil level is normal and the switch is not operating. I disconnected the switch and the generator still shuts down.
Have other owners had similar problems?
What other controls can shut down the generator?
Does the TCI ignition module have electronics, transistors built in? Maybe my problem is in the TCI coil?
The Oil Warning Module will shut down  the TCI  ignition on low oil. As  stated I have disconnected the switch, could the module be defective?

Thank you for your help.
Ted

Re: EF6600DEX Starts good, runs smooth but shuts off after 15 seconds.

Ted

Your generator is pretty much the same as my YG6600DE. And you have the same symptoms I noted in my post here ("YG6600DE won't run"). What you will very likely need to do is follow the frequent advice here in the forum about removing the carb, taking it apart and give a good soaking and cleaning. After trying the fresh gas and new spark plug routine that is what worked for me. The only part of the carb that I didn't take out was the pilot adjustment, the screw with the black plastic cap the limits its movement. I left that alone but removed ever other jet and part on the carb. Also, be sure your float needle isn't damaged. It's a lot easier removing the carb if you remove the gas tank first. Mine had just two bolts and some rubber spacers.

In my post I said that you shouldn't try to short-cut the cleaning BUT, just on a chance that a process I used a couple of years age to fix a "won't stay running" problem might work, try this before digging into the carb.

Shut the valve off from the gas tank to carb. Drain all gas from the carb with the drain screw on the carb fuel bowl. Leave the screw open with a pan or something under to catch fluid. Remove the fuel hose from the gas tank. Now the good part. Go get some Seafoam additive. It's about $8.95 at Walmart, a white can with a screw top. Using a squeeze bottle or other method of your choice run the Seafoam down the fuel house into the carb and let it drain out into pan. Probably 2 or 3 oz. The close the drain screw and get more Seafoam down the hose until the carb is full. Go do something else for a couple of hours. Then drain some of that Seafoam out of the carb. Reattach the gas line to the tank and open the shutoff valve. What we are trying to do here is got a mixture of maybe 2/3 gas and 1/3 Seafoam in the carb.
Start the generator and let's see what happens. It may be hard to start on a heavy Seafoam mixture, that's when I use starting fluid to kick it off. This method saved me on a cold dark night when a heavy early season snow storm took down power lines. If your problem is bad gummy gas, and it affected the carb main jet or float needle, then there is a good chance this could work for you. Worth a try before a carb tear down.

Best of Luck,

Ted

Re: EF6600DEX Starts good, runs smooth but shuts off after 15 seconds.

pineridge
Thank you Ted for your suggestions.
To-day I finally got the generator running properly.
1.  I tried filling the carburetor with car cleaner and let it sit over night.
The problem not solved.
2.  I dismantled the carb and tried to clean out the passageways and jets with carb cleaner.
The generator ran longer but still shut down after 30-40 seconds.
At least there was a improvement.
3. This time I removed and dismantled the carb and placed it in a container with carb cleaner for 48 hours. This time the generator started and ran as designed.
As mentioned on this web site many times it is important to drain the fuel from the carb before storage.

Re: EF6600DEX Starts good, runs smooth but shuts off after 15 seconds.

Tessmtm
I know this is an old thread however, I have read  through this and many others just like it.  I have the same issue,  starts and find great for 60/90 seconds then shuts down.  It is a yg6600de and this is what I gave done. Drained tank, put a brand new carb in it,  filled with fresh fuel,  same issue. Disconnected the oil pressure sensor, same issue unplugged fuel cut off solenoid, same issue. Filled oil. Same issue.  I am stumped!  Something is telling it to shut down but I have no clue what?  Everyone states carburetor but that is why I bought a new one and cannot correct the issue,  help!