EF6600DE Automatic / Electric Choke Operation Explanation Wanted

EF6600DE Automatic / Electric Choke Operation Explanation Wanted

Dgr146
 Hello. I am a new member and this is my first post.  I recently purchased the above model generator , Used, that  was poorly maintained.  I completely broke down the carburetor and soaked it overnight in carb cleaner and then reassembled. How this thing ran at all in the first place is beyond me. I have also replaced rotted vacuum lines.  The machine now starts immediately and seems to run fine. My question is: Can someone explain how the automatic choke works. I understand about the diaphragm pull off, but what function does the heated electric metal strip play in the choke function and what is the proper procedure for adjusting the choke set up?   Also, and maybe I should make this a separate post, But, am I able to convert this automatic choke set up with a manual choke set up?  When researching carburetors, I found that the manual choke carburetors can be purchased as cheap as $40 on eBay.  These include the solenoid fuel cut off.  Would I be able to simply eliminate or plug the vacuum line going to the diaphragm pull off and cap /Insulate the wires leading to the heating element on the choke pull off.  And then simply use the lever/manual choke feature instead?  Thank you in advance.

Re: EF6600DE Automatic / Electric Choke Operation Explanation Wanted

CycleRob
Dgr146,

 The automatic choke is for the unknowing that do not have a clue how to operate a choke. Many Summers ago I listened to a distant neighbor teenage girl mow the entire lawn with the choke FULLY ON (throttle in the start/choke position). It was torture for me but I almost got there just as she was finishing. I guess dad wasn't home.

 Yes you can remove it. "Uninstall" the vacuum dashpot, linkage and BiMetal spring, then hook up your cable. It will be just as good if you get the automatic choke system working right.

 Operation Explanation: The vacuum pull of takes off the choke right after the engine starts, automatically maintaining an accurate partial choke richer cold engine setting until the heater strip slowly takes the choke off completely. After the startup, if the RPM drops from too lean a choke setting, the throttle opens up, the manifold vacuum goes to near zero, then the vacuum pull-off dashpot spring applies more choke . . . the cold thirsty engine comes alive again. That all happens quickly and it was fun to watch on 1970's carburetted cars with the air filter cover off (making it leaner).
 On a hot genny engine restart, the now hot temperature reacting, electrically and engine heated choke BiMetal spring will still be holding the choke OFF, as NO choke will be needed.

Re: EF6600DE Automatic / Electric Choke Operation Explanation Wanted

Dgr146
Makes perfect sense! Thank you for the excellent explanation CycleRob