EF3000iSEB Questions

Salty
Hi new guy with foolish questions here.
I just bought a EF3000iSEB, it makes an annoying high pitch harmonic noise out of the exaust end of the machine with the ECON switch on, is that normal? The Overload Indicator Light flickers when I put a 20-21 amp load on the generator, is that normal? I went with Yamaha because i have worked with YF2800s before and they are bulletproof if just a little loud for an inverter generator. I am still breaking this generator in, will these problems will solve themselves with time?

Thanks
Salty

Re: EF3000iSEB Questions

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Administrator
Hello there Salty, and Welcome, sorry I did not get back to you sooner, you know,holidays and all.
These generators are very quite, running at only 57 Decibils.
I would make sure there is nothing blocking the exhaust, they have a wire mesh protector that can get blocked with dirt/mud/ice,etc. Also you want to make sure that it is not to close to any thing, the owners manual recomends 3ft away from all walls and such, lots of breathing room required.
If you are using the 30 amp plug and the "Overload lite" flickers , this is not normal, I would think its drawing more than you think ? is it possible what ever your running has a much higher draw upon start up ?...also if you are using a long extension cord this will complicate matters more. What are you using for such a load ?
Break in is 20 hrs.... keep me posted.
Regards
Speedy

Re: EF3000iSEB Questions

Salty
Hi Speedy
Thanks for the welcome and response. I have taken the big plastic cover off and looked but did not see anything loose or blocking the exaust. I will do the clean exaust screen service as per the manual and see if that makes a difference, thank for the lead. When I got the overload light to flicker I was using my 110v wirefeed welder plugged into the 20 amp plug with a 5 ft 12ga extension cord. I used 2 different meters to check the load. The welder would draw 18-21 amps on the highest setting. My break in cycle is to run the gen for 1/2 to 1 hr alternating econ switch on and off and a few min of light (less than 4 amps) load. Change the oil. There were this time and usually are lots of sparklys in the oil. Next I run the gen 4 to 5 hrs varying econ off, econ on, light load, medium load, and heavy load up to spec. After that I change the oil and place it in service. I will add one more 15 hr cycle to the EF3000iSEB break in. I take break in seriously. I use Yamaha oil in Yamaha generators, and Honda oil in Honda generators. For what it's worth when I run a Radio Shack base station CB radio I got static that went away when I plugged it into my wall plug. I like the Yamaha seperate ingn and fuel shut off better than the combo switch on the Honda. Has anybody in the forum made or used a rainfly or tent to keep their generator running in the rain?

Thanks for your help

Salty

Re: EF3000iSEB Questions

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Administrator
Hey Salty,
I agree with you on the silvery bits you find in your break in oil, this is very important to change the break in oil at 20 hrs, this will rid you generator of the machine filings often found in a new motor.
As far as shelters for generators,I am sure a rain fly or pop up tent is ok as long as there is no possibilty of water running on it.
Regards Speedy