EF2800i

GpaMiller
I have had my EF2800i since 2001 and love it!
It just got me through Irma after setting for a year or more.
But when I started it, it idled for around 20min & then got a burst and ran perfectly for 2 days running our small appliances and electronics.  Went through two full tanks of gasoline.
After a few days shut off, I filled with fresh gas and Staybil.  Was going to shoot some Sea Foam through carb, run it dry, and store it again.
However...it started easy and just idled.  It will not reach generating speed.  I let it run over an hour.
Now what?
Thanks for your help.

Re: EF2800i

PR-AJ
I would clean the carburetor thoroughly.
Using "carburetor cleaner" spray, and if possible, compressed air.
Pay careful attention to the compressed air: if mis-used, it could damage carburetor parts.

Let us know how it goes!

Re: EF2800i

GpaMiller
Thank you.  I have cleaned the carb.  I let it idle for an hour with SeaFoam, then sprayed Carb Cleaner through the intake.  No change.  Still runs good at idle but will not speed up with a load.

Re: EF2800i

GpaMiller
I'm ready to buy either the controller (~60) or the entire assembly (~$175).  The local registered Yamaha repair shop wants $150 just to determine the problem.

Re: EF2800i

PR-AJ
Hello.
I had to re-read the thread because of the time passed.

If you cleaned the carb and fuel system as you stated, I doubt there is anything wrong with it.

You can definitely change the entire assembly, yet I think you're throwing money at a problem without proper diagnosis.  With enough money, the problem will get fixed.

Yet after your work, I don't think the carburetor is the problem.
Maybe you can ask the local Yamaha service center to lower the $150 fee for checking the generator?
Or maybe ask them to apply part of the $150 to whatever parts are needed to fix the problem, if any.
Maybe the Yamaha tech finds something that fixes the unit, and no parts are needed!

Best of luck,

Re: EF2800i

GpaMiller
Thank you and sorry this response took so long. The Yamaha tech is firm on costs so I’m ordering the rpm control unit and replacing it myself.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 6:43 PM PR-AJ [via Yamaha Generator Fan Club] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello.
I had to re-read the thread because of the time passed.

If you cleaned the carb and fuel system as you stated, I doubt there is anything wrong with it.

You can definitely change the entire assembly, yet I think you're throwing money at a problem without proper diagnosis.  With enough money, the problem will get fixed.

Yet after your work, I don't think the carburetor is the problem.
Maybe you can ask the local Yamaha service center to lower the $150 fee for checking the generator?
Or maybe ask them to apply part of the $150 to whatever parts are needed to fix the problem, if any.
Maybe the Yamaha tech finds something that fixes the unit, and no parts are needed!

Best of luck,

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/EF2800i-tp1637p1945.html
To unsubscribe from EF2800i, click here.
NAML

Re: EF2800i

Magicmaker
Clean the spark arrestor and muffler screens..  Dirty fouled screens are
a common problem causing small engines to bog down under load.
Go to YouTube and search for videos by "Donyboy73".  He's done a couple
videos on the topic.

Re: EF2800i

GpaMiller
Thank you, but it's not an engine problem.  I just received the step motor and that was not the problem.  I can buy a new, bigger generator for the cost of the mother board.  I will try locking the throttle to optimum rpms and just use it like that.  Only need to use it when I require a load.

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/EF2800i-tp1637p1952.html