EF2800i change oil mess.....

jcy110
These Yamaha generators are a work of art. So how did someone have a brain fart when they engineered / designed the type and location of the oil drain plug? I am trying to figure out how NOT to create a complete mess when changing the oil. My generator is on a small dolly, which does not make the situation any better or worse.... Is there a valve that can be screwed into the bolt hole that I can put a rubber hose onto to drain it into a container? Any Ideas would be appreciated! I tried a piece of vinyl to channel the flow but there isnt enough angle on the vinyl and it leaks out the back making a real mess. THIS SHOULD BE A 5 MIN JOB! See pics below. Ef2800-1

Re: EF2800i change oil mess.....

jcy110
I expanded on my vinyl oil guide tray and made one out of aluminum trim sheet, it is held in place out the back of the generator by a spring clamp. That way when I tilt the generator frame forward the oil guide tray does not slip out of place. Pretty good for now but I will use plastic sheet next so I can heat it and form fit it to the bottom of the generator for a tighter fit. Plus the plastic will retain its shape better than the aluminum when it accidently gets bent.

Re: EF2800i change oil mess.....

jcy110,
 Yes, necessity is the mother of invention but it takes refinement to get it working perfect.

 For a more complete and faster oil drain, put a 4" x 4" timber under the wheels on the other side. For the best results let it drain a couple hours or overnight (in a breeze free area).

 Another piece of good advice to maximize the service life of your generator(s) that have not run for several months (or YEARS!!!) is to tip the unit over on its side, toward the valve cover, for about 10 seconds to put a good quantity of engine oil up there to lube the rocker arms, pushrods and valve stems. Then put it back on its feet and wait a few minutes for the intentionally displaced excess oil to return to the sump before starting the engine. These small engines have oil splash and oil slinger lubrication systems (no oil pump) so it takes quite a while for splashed oil vapor to normally make its way up to the valve gear's remote location.

Re: EF2800i change oil mess.....

Tori
maybe a piece of 3/4" pvc cut in half (long ways)  .....maybe the thin wall irrigation type rather than the household plumbing grade....

This might be a bit more durable.

Re: EF2800i change oil mess.....

beachbum
I know this is an old post, but just in case you haven't found a good solution, here's what I did.  It applies to most models.  Just need to check your drain plug size and thread pitch.

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/Easier-oil-changes-on-an-EF6300iSDE-Install-Drain-Valve-tp1689.html

RE: EF2800i change oil mess.....

jcy110

Thanks, that is a good idea!

I know this is an old post, but just in case you haven't found a good solution, here's what I did.  It applies to most models.  Just need to check your drain plug size and thread pitch.

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/Easier-oil-changes-on-an-EF6300iSDE-Install-Drain-Valve-tp1689.html

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/EF2800i-change-oil-mess-tp1100p1690.html

To unsubscribe from EF2800i change oil mess....., click here.
NAML