EF2000iS with no power

12

EF2000iS with no power

Tonellin
Hi all-

I have an EF2000iS that starts great and runs very strong but will not produce any power.  I've tried troubleshooting and searching around but can't seem to get it to put out any power no matter what I do.

Are there any known problem areas with this generator? I'm at a loss right now and feel like I'm spinning my wheels

Thanks

Re: EF2000iS with no power

Tonellin
Any ideas? Still struggling to find any good troubleshooting tips
DLS

Re: EF2000iS with no power

DLS
I'm in the same situation as if today. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Re: EF2000iS with no power

Tonellin
Unfortunately no - still dealing with same issue

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 8:36 PM DLS [via Yamaha Generator Fan Club] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm in the same situation as if today. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/EF2000iS-with-no-power-tp1989p2035.html
To unsubscribe from EF2000iS with no power, click here.
NAML
DLS

Re: EF2000iS with no power

DLS
If you get a chance, see if the DC power works. I used a multimeter on mine and it showed 18 Amps and made a loud and high whine. So there is some power being made, the motor and the generator are spinning.

I'm thinking it might be something as simple as the auto-resetting recepticle not resetting on restart like it's supposed to. Wishful thinking but it's a $25 part and I can probably test with something I already have in the house.

Re: EF2000iS with no power

catamounts
Is your overload light coming on even when nothing is plugged in?

I'm having the same issue with mine - engine starts up fine but overload light will come on about 5 seconds later (nothing is plugged in).  No power from the AC outlet.  I haven't checked the DC side.  It does seem like the auto-reset isn't resetting.  Not sure how to go about troubleshooting this.
DLS

Re: EF2000iS with no power

DLS
No lights at all on mine.

Re: EF2000iS with no power

kamoir
I got my EF2000is in 2012 after I lost power at my home for 4 days.  I’ve used it twice since then.  A week ago we lost power.  I went to my inverter and it started up on first pull, but there is no power!  Called Yamaha and they said $180 just to look at it.  Any body have any ideas how to fix?  Right now it’s a boat anchor!

Re: EF2000iS with no power

catamounts
I opened up the generator today and took a look at the control board.  Turns out one of the tiny capacitors fell off the board entirely.  I'm guessing that's what's causing my no power situation and continuously illuminated overload light.  The capacitors are all completely buried in the control board by a hardened plastic resin type material so the fact this one capacitor shook itself completely off the board suggests my board was defective and this capacitor was not fully secured by the resin.  Of course, it's out of warranty and a new board costs over $700 which is ridiculous.
DLS

Re: EF2000iS with no power

DLS
Can you post some pics?

If it's "just" a capacitor, that's a pretty easy fix. My guess is that Yamaha repair shops will replace the part, but either don't know to look or don't know how, or don't think it's very profitable to solder in a new capacitor. No judgement I guess, but it makes it tough to own the thing if the caps are going to blow.

Re: EF2000iS with no power

catamounts
See photos below.  It's doubtful this can be fixed as the entire board is encapsulated in resin as thick as the height of the capacitor with only a tiny bit of the contact visible inside the hole.  Also, one of the two terminal "legs" of the capacitor fell off when I picked it up... a clear sign of vibration fatigue.  My guess is that this board left the factory with insufficeint resin coating on this one component which allowed the tiniest amount of movement and eventual separation.  I cannot think of any other explanation.

Separated capacitor
closeup of separated capacitor.  Note the remnants of resin still attached.
DLS

Re: EF2000iS with no power

DLS
That does look really rough.

I'm going to open mine by next weekend and see if it's similar.

Re: EF2000iS with no power

Tonellin
I have the same issue as Catamounts. Tore into it and found a capacitor at the bottom that had snapped free from the resin presumably from vibration fatigue. Not very impressed with the quality of this board considering it’s only a 2011 with limited hours. Does anyone have a part number or place to buy a replacement board?  Thanks

Re: EF2000iS with no power

catamounts
WOW, that's the same capacitor!
Mine is around the same age and has about 60 hours of runtime.
Two identical cap-separation failures. It must be a faulty batch of boards.

You'll be disappointed to hear that a new board costs almost as much as a new generator :(
I'm not keen on paying the Yamaha tax anymore.
DLS

Re: EF2000iS with no power

DLS
I'm finally around to digging into mine, and I'm not finding an easy route in through the front.

Do I need to take the motor out from the rear to get to the inverter?

Re: EF2000iS with no power

catamounts
Access is through the back panel, not the front.  I think you also need to remove the side grill/panel that's on the side opposite the muffler to get to the bolts that secure the inverter board.  The inverter board is the big rectangular block with metal fins facing the outside and a bunch of electrical plugs on the inside. There's a plastic cover on the inside protecting all the wires/plugs that you'll need to remove first.

Re: EF2000iS with no power

mwk3800
I had a storm take out power 2 weeks ago.  My 2013 Yamaha EF2000IS had 42 hours when I plugged it in and at just over 100 hours, it quit producing power.  Dealer quoted over $900 for the control unit.  I'll have to check the capacitor you guys referenced here.

Right now, I'm too pissed off to look at it.  Probably the end of the blue Kool-aid for me!

Re: EF2000iS with no power

TChandyman
My Ef2000is does produce 24 volts DC, but nothing AC.  The green AC power light never comes on and the DC breaker does not reset.  Also, when the ECO switch is switched on, there is no difference in the RPMs of the engine.
DLS

Re: EF2000iS with no power

DLS
5 or 6 of us just on this thread with the same symptom.

Re: EF2000iS with no power

TChandyman
What part is the auto-resetting receptacle?
12