EF2000IS won't start

sidste
I left gas in the generator all winter, so now I know why not to do that.

I cleaned the carb, including the main jet, pilot jet and the pilot screw.  I couldn't get the emulsion tube out.  There is no obvious way to remove it.  I ran a brush wire through all the small holes, including the hole in the end of the pilot jet.  It will start for a few seconds then die.  If I let it sit for 30 seconds, it will start again then immediately die.

After much messing around, I got it to start for a few seconds by:
1. leaving the air intake hose removed
2. spraying gasoline into the carb.
3. pull out the choke and start.

As I said, it runs for 2 seconds then dies.  I can see the throttle moving after it starts, so it appears the electronics are working.  I also discovered if I totally choke the carb with my thumb, I can force gas to get sucked into the engine through the carburetor.  I remove my thumb, the engine burns the gas, but then starts to die, so I put my thumb over the air intake again and repeat.  The choke valve is shut this whole time, but I need to over choke the engine.

All this tells me that gas is not flowing freely through the carb.  I've cleaned everything I can think of.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: EF2000IS won't start

CycleRob
sidste,
 You may not know this, but the throttle position MUST be against the full throttle stop before you start the engine. I suspect this because you say you see the throttle moving after it starts.

Re: EF2000IS won't start

sidste
I do have the throttle fully open when starting.

I have fully disassembled the carb, soaked in cleaner then blew it all out with compressed air.

It will start for a few seconds, but won't idle, or run under load. I can get it to idle if I block the air intake (choke) with my hand then let air in and repeat. I think this makes all suction forces pull gas, then let's air in for combustion.

I'm thinking the fuel line or tank is blocked because the main and idle jets are clean.  I'll tackle this on the weekend and post an update.

Thanks.

sidste,
 You may not know this, but the throttle position MUST be against the full throttle stop before you start the engine. I suspect this because you say you see the throttle moving after it starts.

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/EF2000IS-won-t-start-tp1191p1193.html
To unsubscribe from EF2000IS won't start, click here.
NAML

Re: EF2000IS won't start

Grumps
The easiest way to check if the fuel line or tank is blocked is to open the float bowl drain and turn on the fuel pet cock. If fuel flows out the line is not blocked. My money is on a plugged jet. Many main jets have a passage in the end and also on the sides.

Re: EF2000IS won't start

sidste
I removed the gas tank, checked the fuel filter.  Gas flows fine to the carb.  I’ve cleaned the carb about 6 times now.  Blown and sucked on every vent and soaked it in warm Yamalub carb dip.  Still need to hold my hand over the air intake to make it run, so something is still not flowing well.  I just ordered a new main jet.  Its hard to tell, but I think the hole in the main jet is corroded from sitting in ethanol and got smaller.  If this does not work, I’m buying a new carb.

> On Jul 16, 2015, at 9:37 AM, Grumps [via Yamaha Generator Fan Club] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The easiest way to check if the fuel line or tank is blocked is to open the float bowl drain and turn on the fuel pet cock. If fuel flows out the line is not blocked. My money is on a plugged jet. Many main jets have a passage in the end and also on the sides.

> http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/EF2000IS-won-t-start-tp1191p1196.html
> To unsubscribe from EF2000IS won't start, click here.
> NAML

Re: EF2000IS won't start

sidste
New main jet did the trick. Started on one pull.

See old vs new main jet.  I had tried to open up the hole on the old one using wire.  Its not dirt or gunk.