EF2000IS--high AC voltage

bwstewar
Hi all, I'm new to this site.
I'm 2 1/2 years into my 2 year warranty (paid almost $1000 for gen).  I've hardly used the generator (like 2-3 tanks of stabilized fuel), but have run it every couple of months. The engine starts easily and runs smooth.  The ECON switch works as always.  We recently had a power outage (someone hit a pole) and I ran the gen to power a TV, satellite box, attic fan, etc.  After about an hour (temp here was about 107, and gen may have been in the sun) it stopped producing power.

Now when I start it with nothing plugged in, the green AC light AND the red overload light are on.  After a few seconds the Green AC dims and goes out, but the red stays on.  I measured the AC output and found it over 300 v, but drops down until the green light goes out.  I think the user manual says a high AC voltage will cause the red overload and cause the unit to shut off power.  I unplugged the alternator from the inverter board and checked the output from the 3 main coils.  All 3 are producing over 300 vac.

Does anyone know the spec for the alternator output?  Any more ideas?  I'm praying it's not the invertor board since they are not worth replacing.

Re: EF2000IS--high AC voltage

VictorHill
This gen set does come with a safety feature is called low-oil shutdown. Your generator may encounter with this issue. In order to find the root cause you should implement following actions:
1. Check Fuel
2. Check the Oil and Fuel Filter
3. Check the Generator for Overload
4. Check and clean the spark plugs
5. Check Fuses and Circuit Breakers
6. Cleaning the Carburetor
In detail, you should refer the resource below: How to fix a Portable Generator/

Re: EF2000IS--high AC voltage

"After about an hour (temp here was about 107, and gen may have been in the sun) it stopped producing power".

 We have our answer.