EF1000 runs but no power

Ron

EF1000 runs but no power

Ron
Hello all, my name is Ron.
This is my first time to your forum.
I recently acquired a older EF1000. I have replaced fuel line and filter, changed the oil, and it fires right up no problem. Seems to run very smooth , quiet , and good.

It is making no power. I have checked/pushed the circuit breakers and I do not see any voltage reading on the gauge, and no power at the plug.

Any help or suggestions to get this nice little Genny up and running will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron
Ron

Re: EF1000 runs but no power

Ron
Anyone ?
Any help or suggestions on what I can check,  or test for, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

Re: EF1000 runs but no power

Ron,
 You do not say that it was providing output before you "acquired" it, so that is likely why the ownership is now yours.

 I looked at the Yamaha Parts website that shows blow-up diagrams of all the parts, yet I see none for a voltage regulator. Maybe there is none. Only a "Condenser Assembly". There is also no wiring diagram for me to tell you what color wires emanating from the alternator stator or rotor that you could Ohmmeter test. I also saw NO brush assembly, absolutely needed to excite the rotor windings. That undocumented brush assembly is the least reliable part, in that normal wear could be rapid wear if the genny was run in a dirty-windy environment. Look at the brush assembly first for crumbling carbon brushes, broken/corroded connector wires. Then examine the stator and rotor windings for dark or uneven discoloration that would indicate destructive overheating and/or short circuiting. The stator output -and- rotor input wires can be Ohmmeter checked, each one individually for a short to ground, that being to the stator base, and similarly for the rotor shaft and it's copper brush sliprings. There should be infinite resistance. It could be just heavily corroded rotor armature sliprings!! If so, clean them up with lightly oiled 600 grit sandpaper using the same circular motion direction as the brushes would.