Changing oil on Yamaha generator

Patty
I am trying to change the oil on my 3000ise Yamaha generator.  I cannot for the life of me loosen the drain screw using a 12mm socket wrench.  It is so awkward to even get a socket wrench in the area.  Does any one have a solution

Re: Changing oil on Yamaha generator

Grumps
Maybe this will help
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h_zsQVGtgAg

I don't have this unit but it looks like there is an opening under the access door for an extension to fit through the case.

Re: Changing oil on Yamaha generator

hmoore01
just changed mine last weekend.
used an extension between socket and ratchet.
there is a rubber plug on the main cover that will allow access .
mine was fairly tight , but still was able to loosen with a 1/4 " drive ratchet
Hope this helps
also there is a rubber plug below the drain plug that is easily removable to put a small drain pan under
the gen. to catch the oil
It helps if you run the unit for a few minutes before you change the oil to warm it up .
Harry

Re: Changing oil on Yamaha generator

Patty
Thanks for the info.  I will try again.  Screw is beyond tight.  Does it unscrew by screwing to the left like a normal screw

Patty Webb
Royal LePage Sussex
Sunshine Coast
Cell: 604-740-2870
Off:  604-885-3295
www:sunshinecoastrealestate.ca

used an extension between socket and ratchet.
there is a rubber plug on the main cover that will allow access .
mine was fairly tight , but still was able to loosen with a 1/4 " drive ratchet
Hope this helps
also there is a rubber plug below the drain plug that is easily removable to put a small drain pan under
the gen. to catch the oil
It helps if you run the unit for a few minutes before you change the oil to warm it up .
Harry

http://yamaha-generator-fan-club.10967.n7.nabble.com/Changing-oil-on-Yamaha-generator-tp1599p1601.html
To unsubscribe from Changing oil on Yamaha generator, click here.
NAML

Re: Changing oil on Yamaha generator

Grumps
It is a normal screw, counter clockwise to loosen.

Re: Changing oil on Yamaha generator

hmoore01
Yes it is,      Right (tight)       left (loose)......
when the engine is hot it tends to grow just a little bit.
the drain plug which is steel will not grow as much
this will help with breaking it loose
when mine broke loose the first time , it broke with a sharp snap.
almost like there was thread lock on the threads.
Harry