Battery drain EF3000iseb

p3phil
Battery drops to zero after about 2 weeks of not running the generator. Took it to authorized repair shop. They said there was a burned out diode and they also replaced the battery ($90. For battery). 2 weeks later battery was discharged. Took it back to repair. They charged the battery and said they could find nothing wrong. 2 weeks later, yep, you guessed it...I will not take it back to the clowns in Palatka, FL. I got out my trusty meter and started looking for a slow "leak". I found what appears to be an intermittent leak in the starter relay. Could this be? Anybody else have something similiar?

Re: Battery drain EF3000iseb

CycleRob
p3phil,

 You don't say the age and hours of the genny, but these solenoids are NOT automotive quality or designed for harsh/wet conditions that cars see all the time. With age, long run-times (vibration) or frequent starts, solenoid failure is routine. When I worked in a Honda Shop in my 20's, replacing customers' failed riding mower starter solenoids (~4/year) indicated their quality was not up to the manufacturer's reputation.

Re: Battery drain EF3000iseb

p3phil
Thank you cyclerob..the generator is a 2003 model. I bought new. The machine is always covered when operating and is stored in a garage. Could be the solenoid but I don't think so. Still working on it

Re: Battery drain EF3000iseb

CycleRob
The main battery cable goes to the solenoid, so it is always "hot". In normal operation the make-n-break arcing generates a black/gray powdery residue, that after hundreds of start-ups can generate a conductive path to ground. There could also be a medium or high resistance leak to ground in your key start switch. I've seen just that in old high mileage motorcycles where the ignition switch's internal metal/copper/brass electrical contact parts wear over time, transforming the factory lubrication grease into a mildly conductive paste. It slowly bleeds a small amount of power to ground, that over a few hours/days time, KILLS the battery.
 Your Ohmmeter will reveal if there is such an anomaly by testing each of the disconnected wire terminal's resistance to ground. A quick check is to put your multimeter in the 10 Amp mode, disconnect one battery cable and place the meter leads in series with the battery terminal and the disconnected cable terminal. If there's no reading on the 10 Amp scale, drop down to the 200 ma range. It should read no more than low single digits. Check the blocking diode in the charge circuit too. The diode's pass and block resistance values and charge coil resistance values are listed in the service manual.

Thank you foryour info! Everything that you have outlined checks 4.0. It must be an intermittent thing. I do not have a service manual so it is very hard for me to trace. I put an isolation switch on the battery so that should take care of it.
Thanks!

Re: Battery drain EF3000iseb

p3phil
Thank you foryour info! Everything that you have outlined checks 4.0. It must be an intermittent thing. I do not have a service manual so it is very hard for me to trace. I put an isolation switch on the battery so that should take care of it.
Thanks!

Re: Battery drain EF3000iseb

ribick
Ok...really stupid question, but one that needs to be ruled out.  When not in use, they starter key is set to the off position, not the on position correct?

Not that I'm so sure even keeping it in the on position should cause the problem you're experiencing, but I'm just trying to first rule out the obvious.

I have mine set to "On" at all times, contrary to my own advice, but that's because I have the unit connected to a device that starts the generator automatically when utility power goes out, and turns it off when the power returns--that necessitates that the starter switch be in the on position in auto to remotely crank the engine.

AND...I have a trickle charger attached to the battery to keep it fresh enough the crank the engine as needed--so I can't speak to what happens when the unit's kept in the on position for lengths of time.

While you shouldn't lose battery power to an electronic issue, and this should be resolved by the servicer, I'm a fan of trickle charges regardless----which may solve the problem...that is if you have the luxury of keeping the generator near an A/C power source.

Wait (sarcasm)...isn't the reason we HAVE the generator is because we're often NOT by an A/C power source!?

Good luck.

Re: Battery drain EF3000iseb

justin
yes, mine does the same thing, dealer first blamed it on the yamaha remote starter kit, they replaced the kit which I paid out of pocket - batter died again 3 months later.  The dealer told me according to Yamaha Tech - the generator DOES NOT charge it's own battery.  So I called Yamaha and spk w/h customer service who looked into and called me back and said that is not true, the generator does Charge it's own battery.  And as of today, they still do not know why it discharges the battery.  I run it 2 times monthly for 30 mins w/h a 75 watt light bulb attached.  My EF3000 ISEB is 9 months old and I installed an hour meter on mine and it has 8 hours on it.. What a waste of money on this pos and Yamaha Customer Service is a JOKE.  Anyone reading this go out and buy a big box store generator and save yourself $2000.00 and you'll get better customer service.  Honestly, this generator is not that much quieter than a comparable wattage genny.

Re: Battery drain EF3000iseb

Mick M.
I've had my EF3000iSEB for 3 years and I charge the battery about once a year.  The battery always has enough amperage to start the generator.  You 'may' have a problem with the DC-to-DC converter.  It senses when extra battery power is required to boost the output amperage of the inverter.  You could disconnect the two extra positive and negative wires from the battery to test.  If the batery does NO go dead when only connected too the starting circuit, the CD-to-CED converter is the problem.  Yamaha should cover this under warranty for sure.

  Has anyone fond a way to run this inverter on batteries only?  It seems it would be simple to have it run on battery alone if you hook-up a decent sized starting battery (like a 90AH AGM battery from my truck).  That would give me battery OR gasoline as a source for AC power.

Mick

Re: Battery drain EF3000iseb

CycleRob
Nick, Using battery power to power the inverter would be a big mistake as the engine cooling fan is needed to cool the inverter. When you overheat that inverter it becomes an expensive paper weight.

Re: Battery drain EF3000iseb

erniek70
I had not used by genny in 2 yrs.  Battery was completely dead (which is understandable).  After running for 6 hrs, it was still completely dead.  Is the battery supposed to recharge while the engine is running?  Is battery junk now?  Can a std. trickle charger revive it, or a smart charger?