2400ishc power delay

calico
Hello people.I have a 6yr old 2400ishc with about 300hrs on it.When i plug in a higher amp start load of a circular saw or even my 4.5 inch body grinder (small milwaukee one)and hit the trigger the tool runs for 1/2 a second then shuts off and one sec later it comes on and goes to full speed.When i turn on my 11,000 btu camper ac it blacks out for a second then it runs ok.The clock on the microwave blacks out totally and resets to 12:00.But is does actually work and run the ac. I dont recall the gen being this bad in the past.I took all the covers off looked around for loose wires etc.Took out the control box checked connectors found nothing.Took off carb and cleaned it and changed the spark plug to the exact factory plug that was in it.Still has the problem.Looks like it is going to be the dreaded control box?Any help on this appreciated.I am not going to give yamaha $700.Could have bought a cheepy gen and got more use out of it.What a waste.If it cant be figured out will sell as is and go red.It runs perfect and i changed the oil on it always before i should have

Re: 2400ishc power delay

calico
I ran the 2400ishc hard today.Had it hooked up to a craftsman 14" chop saw 15.4A and made 25 cuts of angle iron for a project.Pull the trigger starts the saw for a sec then cuts out for a sec then kicks back in and the saw spins to max rpm . It powered through all the cutting i did.Does anyone have the 2400ishc when starting a electric motor it cuts out for a sec and then restarts?Even a much smaller motor like a 4.5 inch grinder will do it.Wondering if this may be normal for this unit?A 500w halogen light goes on normal.

Re: 2400ishc power delay

CycleRob
I believe that Genny uses the generator's 12V electric starting battery to boost the rectified alternator output powering the inverter for a combined greater starting load. Check the battery terminals for cleanliness and tightness then lightly grease the mating surfaces. Maybe the battery has lost some of its amperage capacity over time, thereby weakening its contribution to the start load.

Re: 2400ishc power delay

Grumps
CycleRob, you are thinking of the 3000iseb that has the battery boost feature. The 2400ishc is a pull start only unit. I suspect that the initial current draw is very high and this unit has no way to turn off the eco mode. It takes a moment to over come the surge of current.

Re: 2400ishc power delay

Luvbigiron
Mine did the same, but it does pick up the load after the momentary delay.  Unfortunately my 2400 ishc has given me nothing but trouble.  I'm not a big fan of Yamaha generators plus there is no service center anywhere near southwest Virginia.  If you're looking for ATV or UTV service, they're a dime a dozen.

Re: 2400ishc power delay

CycleRob
This post was updated on .
Grumps, Correct! I actually thought it had an electric start. I guess the "b" in the model number (boost?, battery?) is the easy clue.
My very smart shopping next door neighbor has that (HUGE looking) EF2400iSHC and I too was surprised and disappointed that there is not an Eco switch on it. During our 46.3 hour power outage from hurricane Irma on 9-11-17, I went over at some point to see it running. He has a premium weatherproof 125V twistlock outlet and 6 circuit transfer switch. It was actually at normal idle to power those circuits, and it was gradually RPM wavering and wandering, likely from minor pilot jet slime or a stored fuel issue. He was troubled by that wandering and I suggested that after the current Genny tank was near empty (or siphon most of it out now) to add the proper mixture of fuel system cleaner to the next refuel container. The ability to turn off Eco idle may have helped to clean off the sparkplug and the pilot jet orifice . The only way now for him to "rev it up" is to connect 2 in-house box heaters to draw 2KW.
 Most people/owners (as I do too) may think that not having a way to turn off the Eco-Idle was a stupid engineering decision -but- there might be a "better response performance issue" and/or "always very quiet" reasons for it. Who knows. It was a bad decision. The owners want an Eco switch!!